The Hamburglar is Screwed
I find this to be pure insanity. I always thought I had the responsibility to make sure my kids are healthy, and I don’t recall electing the “Task Force on Child Obesity.” In fact, I didn’t even see them on the ballot. Apparently those on the Task Force don’t like Grimace much, though.
[M]edia characters that are often popular with kids should only be used to promote healthy products. If voluntary efforts fail to limit marketing of less healthy products to young viewers, the task force suggests the FCC should consider new rules on commercials in children’s programming. It also challenges food retailers to stop using in-store displays to sell unhealthy food items to children.
If “voluntary efforts fail?” Fail at what? And when did six and seven year-olds suddenly gain control of what they eat? My kids still can’t poke a straw in their Capri Sun, let alone hop in the car and pull out their credit card. This is the nanny-state going haywire.
Now, I understand that some people shouldn’t procreate, but shouldn’t we start with forced sterilization before censoring McDonald’s? What’s next? Michelle Obama coming into my living room and forcing my kids outside at gun point?
But Federal Trade Commission Chairman Jon Leibowitz said, “A regulatory approach is certainly not where we want to start.” He told a briefing, “You start by pushing self-regulation, by pushing your bully pulpit; sometimes shaming companies that don’t do enough.”
This is absolutely ridiculous. FCC Chairman Stalin, er, Leibowitz just said, in plain English, that if the bully pulpit doesn’t work, the government will just censor the Hamburglar. Why isn’t anyone up in arms over this? is everybody crazy? Next thing I know, some unelected “commission” is going to storm into my kitchen and throw out my Fruity Pebbles because they contain too much sugar. This must have been in episode six of “V,” before they forced a re-write.
All I know is, I had better not see Mrs. Obama on Sesame Street anymore, because that blue Cookie Monster fella’ is dangerous!
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
Tags to Note
- Trump Says at Rally He Has Delivered '100 Days of Action' April 30, 2017
- Trump Backers in Phoenix Region Are Fine With His Learning Curve April 29, 2017
- National Monuments That Could Soon Be on the Chopping Block April 29, 2017
- 25 Years Later: How the Riots Changed Policing in Los Angeles April 29, 2017
- Gorsuch's Early Days Hint at an Energetic Role April 28, 2017
- Trump at Rally: Media Deserves 'Big, Fat Failing Grade' April 30, 2017
- Donald Trump's One Awful Accomplishment April 30, 2017
- Democrats' 2018 Senate Math Problem April 30, 2017
- Richard Trumka's Warning to Democrats April 30, 2017
- Fox News is Now Suddenly Vulnerable April 30, 2017
- 16,087 minds served (so far)